Churches


Print E-mail

Name
Address
Description

Chatolic Church
"Holy Heart of Jesus"

Marshal Tito 63, Bitola
Phone:
(047) 233-705

The French missionaries -followers of Lazar, begun their activity in this region in the beginning of the XVIII century. In the year 1909,  the Catholic church in neo- gothic French style was built. The interior of the church is composed of tree altars, a large number of icons and statues of various sizes, baptistery and benches for worshipers. The statue of the Holy Heart of Jesus is the dominate one, located in the center of the altars. The belfry of the church was built between 1938-1940 as a gift from the Slovenian believers. The Church today has rich library and archival fund for the mission and schools opened in Bitola for spreading the Catholic faith.

"St. Dimitrija"

11ti Octomvri 1, Bitola
Phone:
(047) 202-345

The church was built in 1830; the belfry was built in 1936. It has three nave shape with side gallery. The iconostas was made in golden carving by unknown  wood carving master. It is open for visit every day from 06:00 to 19:00.


 

"Holy mother of God"

Guro Gakovik nn, Bitola
Phone:
(047) 236-287

Built up in 1870’s and consecrated in 1876. The church is known for its iconostas and carving. Icons from the 19th and 20th century can be seen inside the church from different donors, most of them from the guilds in Bitola. It is open for visit every day from 06:00 to19:00.


 

"St. Pantelejmon"

Studentska nn, Bitola
Phone:
(047) 258-237

This church is located in Bitola, near the student Dorm. August 9th is the day of St. Clement, and according to the tradition on this day the vine producers are eating the first bite of their grapes. On this day the locals come to this church to light candles and pray, to drink and take some of the holy water. During this day, in the Church yard a small fair is organized with stalls sailing toys for the youngest visitors.

"Holy Mother of God"

Next to the elementary school
"Nikola Karev"

"Holy Mother of God" was built in 1867. It  is a large urban church. The roof is based on two parts, and in the middle  rises  high tambour. The interior of the church is divided into three parts arranged  in columns, three from the northern and southern side. Inside the church, dominate one monumental iconostasis, created in the 19th century and some other icons that are dating from that period. Inside the church there are several fresco paintings located in the middle part of the church and  on the western side of the church. The frescos are dating from 1870.


 

"Holy Trinity"

Hotelska Zona nn, Krusevo

The Church "Holy Trinity"  was built in 1881 in the periphery of the town near the hotel Montana in the "Roma neighbourhood". The church was burnt down during the Ilinden Uprising and soon after it was built again.


 

"Holy Salvation"

The foot of Crn Vrv,
Krusevo

The Church is part of the monastery complex  "Holy Salvation" near Krusevo. It was built in 1826, located on 600m. altitude with ideal climatic conditions. It is located in beautiful forest surroundings, and it is favorite picnic spot for the locals and the tourists.


 

"St. George"

v.Kurbinovo

The church was built in 12th century. This church is worldwide famous for its vivid frescoes. "The presentation of Arhangel Gavril"  the frescoes of  St. Ana and her daughter St. Bogorodica, portraits of Slovenian teachers St Cyril and Methodius are the main insignia of the church. The church is one kilometer  away from village Kurbinovo.


 

"St. Sava"

v.Pretor

It is a half kilometar away from village Pretor. It was built in 14th century. Before the church of St. Sava was built, on the same location existed much older church dedicated to St. Nikola. The most famous insignia of the church is the icon of St. John the Baptist. Today the church is in a very bad condition.


 

"St. Petka"

v.Brajcino

The church "St. Petka" is onenave church. It has small dimensions and three-side apsis. The frescoes were created in two phases: first phase in 16th century, and second phase in 18th century.


 

"St. Atanas"

v.Slivnica

The church is located in the west of the village Slivnica. It is onenave church with small dimensions.


 

"St. Nikola"

v.Slivnica

The church is located near the village Slivnica. It is modern church built on an old sacred location. Also, there is a necropolis nearby.


 

"St. Dimitrija"

v.Slivnica

It is in the north of the village Slivnica. In the church there is iconostasis.


 

"St. Petka"

v.Slivnica

The church is 3 km far-away from the village Slivnica. It is a small onenave church built on a sacred location. There, you can see vestigal traces from an old necroplis.


 

"St. Arhangel"

v.Pretor

The church is located in the west of village Pretor. It was built in 1923, it has  no frescoes and the icons are made in present time.


 

"St. Atanas"

v.Pretor

The church is in the village Pretor. It is small church built on a sacred location.


 

"St. Peter and Paul"

v.Ljubojno

It is located 1,5 km. east from v.Ljubojno. It was built in 1923 . It has beautifull bell-tower and beautifull overview.


 

"St. John"

v.Ljubojno

It is a village church built in 1861. In 1903 it was burnt down and it was renewed in 1921. The church has three naves, and seven-side apses. In the altar there are paintings on the wall, created in 1928.


 

"St. Atanasie"

v.Ljubojno

The church is 1 km. far-away from the village Ljubojno. It was built in 1623 and renewed in 1968. In the altar there are frescoes.


 

"Holy mother of God"

v.Ljubojno

It is located in the west of  the village, has small dimensions and modest architecture.


 

"St. Marena"

v.Ljubojno

It is located in the end of the village. It is very small church with insignificant look built in the neighboorhood of Sherdenkovski family. The cult of St. Marena is very popular in Prespa region(including the part of Prespa region in Albania).


 

"Holy mother of God"

v.Ljubojno

It is a small onenave church with semi-circular apses. The church was built on the foundation of an older sacred object. The church has preserved frescoes from 17th century.


 

"St. Nikola"

v.Ljubojno

Small church with semi-circular apse.


 

"St. Dimitrija"

v.Ljubojno

The church is located 1 km. west of the village. It is church with small dimensiones.


 

"St. Eliah"

v.Ljubojno

The church is in the east of the village Ljubojno,on the road to village Brajcino. It is built in 19th century and it was renewed later. It has  no wall paintings and the frescoes are created in present time.


 

"St. Nikola"

v.Brajchino

The church is located in village Brajchino. It was built in 1871-72. It is three-nave church with preserved wall paintings on the apse. The iconostasis was created in 1875.


 

"St. Arhangel"

v.Brajchino

The church is located 1,5 kilometres far-away from the village. It is built in present time.


 

"St. Eliah"

v.Brajchino

The church is located 2 km. east from village Brajchino. It was built in 1919.


 

"St. Atanas"

v.Brajchino

The church is located south-west of village Brajchino. Its foundations are from an old sacred object. There are wall paintings in the altar, and on the north wall.


 

"Holy mother of God"

v.Brajchino

This church is located north of the village Ljubojno. It has insignificant architecture with small dimensiones. The construction date is unknown.


 

"St. Atanasie"

v.Dolno Dupeni

The church is located east of the village and its 2 kilometers far-away. It was built in 1864 on the ruins of an old sacred object built  in the 17th century.The church has preserved wall paintings and iconostasis.


 

"The Holy mother of God"

v.Dolno Dupeni

It is church settled in a monastery. Its location is 2 kilometers north-east from Ljubojno. It was built in 20th century. In the church there is one wall painting, great iconostasis, and carved wooden bishop's  chair.


 

"St. Arhangel and Mihail"

v.Dolno Dupeni

The church is located in village Dolno Dupeni. The wall paintings are preserved in the apses. In the church there are icons which are registred as Monuments of culture.


 

"St. Eliah"

v.Dolno Dupeni

The church is located south-east from the village Dolno Dupeni. It was built on an older sacred object. In the proximity of the church there are vestigal traces of  necropolis.


 

"St. Vrachi"

v.Dolno Dupeni

It is located 3-4 kilometars far-away from village Dolno Dupeni. It has small dimensions and modest architecture.


 

"St. Nikola"

v.Dolno Dupeni

This church is one kilometer east from the village Dolno Dupeni. It is a small church with modest architecture.


 

"St. Dimitrija"

v.Dolno Dupeni

The church is located one kilometer south from Dolno Dupeni. It has small dimensions and modest architecture.


 

"St. Petka"

V.Dolno Dupeni

The church is located one kilometar east from the village Dolno Dupeni.It is a small church with modest architecture.


 

"St. Filip"

v.Dolno Dupeni

This church is located south-east from the village Dolno Dupeni. It is a small church with modest architecture.


 

"St. Cyril and Methodius"

v.Dolno Dupeni

Church with three naves and semi-circular apses. It was built in 1911. It has no wall paintings, and the iconostasis was made in modern times.


 

"St. Atanas"

v.Dolno Dupeni

It is located one kilometer south from the village Stenje. It was built in postbyzantine period. Parts of the wall paintings are preserved.


 

"St. Dimitrija"

v.Zurce

The church St. Dimitrija is located in village Zvan, northwest from Demir Hisar. It was built in 17th century.


 

"Holy Transmogrification"

v.Zrze

The church is part of the monastery complex "Sveto Preobrazenie" located in the village Zrze. The church has very unic icons and frescoes. All of them are listed in the world's greatest encyclopaedias. The icon “Jesus Christ” was created in 1393 by the icon painter Metropoliten John. The icon “Bogorodica Pelagoniska” (Holy Mother of Jesus from Pelagonia) was created in 1422 by the icon painter-monk Makarie. These icons are quintessence of Macedonian Medieval tradition. One of them is monumental, and the other is more lyric and subtile. The icons are created in the end of the Medieval era and they are testimony of our Byzantine histori.


 

"St. Dimitrija"

v.Gradeshnica

This church was built in the reign of Tzar Dushan (16th century). The church has another name “St Nikola”, and the local  residents call it  “The temple of the great Martyr Dimitri”. This church was built of stones. It has one nave, semi-circular cupola decorated with wall paintings and icons. On the icons are presented figures of saints. The church has unic altar made of stone.


 

"St. Nikola"

v.Gradeshnica

"St.Nikola" is dedicated to Apostle St.Nikola who treated ill people with holy water. The church has porch on the south side. On the west side there is a bell tower with round shape. This church was built of stones and mortar, and it was painted. The church has preserved two significant books: "Caslav"-written in Greek, and "Razlicno poucenie" (Different lesson) written in oldslavonic language in 1849.


 

"St. Atanasij the Great"

v.Gradeshnica

Small church built in the near of the village Gradeshnica -dedicated to St. Atanasij the Great.


 

"Holy Salvation" chappel

v.Gradeshnica

Church built in the near of the village Gradeshnica. It was dedicated to the Holy Salvation (celebrating 40 days after Easter).


 

"Sveta Besrebrenica Kozma I Damjan"

v.Gradeshnica

Chappel which is not active. It was not painted. The local residents are devoted Christian, hospitable and merry people.


 

"Holy Salvation"

v.Grumazi

This church was made of stones. It was built in 1864. It has semi-circular cupola, one nave, painted walls, frescoes and icons. The greatest icon of all is the icon dedicated to Jesus Christ. This church was ruined during the world war one, renewed in 1927 and enlarged in 1980. In 2006 the church was completely rebuilt. Church entrance is on the sout side,  near the altar.


 

"St. Dimitrij"

v. Grunishta

One nave church, built in 1860, ruined during the World war one, renewed in 1926. The church was painted. It has 6 meters width, and 12 meters length. There is cemetary  behind the church. The church walls and the  bell towers are covered with stone tiles. External walls are covered with paint.


 

"Holy mother of God"

v.Bach

The church was built in 19th centery, renewed and hallowed in 1912. It was ruined during the World war one, and then remewed once again in 1921. It is one nave church, with no frescoes in it , but has icons of saints and apostles. The apsis is semi-circular with overview of the village. In the church there are icon lamps, made before the instauration.


 

"St. Nikolaj"

v. Brod

Built in 1840, and ruined during the World war one. Renewed in 1996. The church is modern, but in it there are 19th centery icons. It is one nave church. The church has  12 m. lenght,  7 meters width, and 6 meters height. By the north wall there is one row with chairs, and by the south wall there are two rows with chairs.


 

"St. George  Victorius"

v.Germijan

The church was  built of stones in 1860. It has semi-circular cupola, one nave, frescoes, and icons. The church was ruined  during the World war one. It was renewed and  painted in 1925. In 1990 was renewed again.


 

"St. Peter and Paul"

v. Gorno Algarci and Dolno Algarci

Built in 1980 on the foundation of an old church (ruined during the World war one). Its external walls were built of ornamental bricks. The church has two naves, fresoes and icons. The church has two porches in the church yard -one of them is used by the residents of the village Gorno Algarci, and the other is used by the residents of the village Dolno Algarci. The two villages share the church. Gorno Algarci celebrates St. Peter's day (July 12), and Dolno Algarci celebrates St. Paul's day (July 13).


 

"Holy Ascention of Jesus"

v. Dalbegovci

The church was built in 2005. It was built nearby the village, with ornamental bricks. Modern temple with 3 domes, semi-circular cupola and two naves. It is decorated with frescoes and icons. Patron day in the village is Easter.


 

"St. Nikolaj Miriklijski"

v. Dobromiri

The church was built in 1886 on a shrine. This church was ruined during the World war one, rebuilt in 1926 and renewed in 1941. In 2001  was installed electric current, and the walls were painted. It is one nave church, decorated with frescoes and icons. Entrance of the church is on the south side of the church.


 

"Holy Salvation"

v. Zivojno

This church was built in the name of the God's  ascention day. The Christian's holiday “Spasovden” (Holy Salvation) is similar with the heathen holiday of the God “Spas” who was guardian of the people. The church was built of stone in  1885 and It was enriched with books and icons. It has semi-circular cupola, one nave, and entrance on the south side.


 

"St. Nikolaj-the miracle worker"

v. Zovik

The church was built of stones in 1868. It is one nave church, decorated with frescoes and icons. In 1920-1921 the residents who were intermented rebuilt the church. In 1958 the church was painted, and the roof and the dining room were repaired.


 

"St. Archangel Michael"

v.Makovo

The church was built in 1860. During the World war one was ruined, and in 1926 rebuilt with new name- “Holy resurrection” . The church was renewed with donation of the association “Makovo” from Melbourne- Australia in 1997.


 

"St. Atanasij the Great"

v. Novaci

The church was dedicated to St.Atanasij. It was built in 1868. It was made of stones. The church has three naves, semi-circular cupola  frescoes and icons. It is located in the center of the village. The church is enclosed with fence. On the left side of the church is located the priest's house. In the west part of the church there is dining room with two halls: office and room for sharing food. On the west side of the church is located the bell tower (10 meters high). The bell was made in 1926. The bell tower was renewed in 1998.


 

"St. Paraskeva and Dimitrij"

v. Rapesh

The church was dedicated to the two saints. It was built in 1860, with entrances on the south and west side. |t was decorated with frescoes and icons. In 1918 the church was bombarded and ruined. When the World war one ended, the displaced residents came back to their homes and rebuilt the church. In 2006 the church was rebuilt again.


 

"St. Nikolaj- the Miracle worker"

v.Ribarci

It is located on the highest point in the village, on the church bump, and it is enclosed with iron fence. In the church's neighbourhood there are cemetery, and on the south side there is a dining room.The church was built in 1862, ruined in 1918, and rebuilt in 1936 and 1971. The date of construction (1862) is written above the front door.


 

"Holy mother of God"

v.Staravina

The church was built in 1860. It's walls were painted in 1887. The signatures of the frescoes were written in Greek, and when the church was restored the signatures were re-written in oldslavonic language. In the first zone of the wall paintings, saints are presented to their waist. The village and it's churches were ruined in 1918.


 

"St.Nikolaj-the Wonderworker"

v.Staravina

The church is nearby the village, on the highest point. It does not have wall paintings and decorations.


 

"St. Archangel Mihail"

v. Mogila

Built in 18th century.


 

"St. George"

v. Ivanjevci

Built in 1847.


 

"The birth of the holy mother of God"

v. Trnovci

Built in  1983.


 

"St. Theodor"

v.Sveto Todori

Built in 1840.


 

"The birth of the holy mother of God"

v.Podino

Built in Roman Ages, rebuilt in 1916.


 

"St. Atanasie"

v.Loznani

Built in 1900.


 

"St. George the Martyr"

v.Novoselani

Built in 1935.


 

"Holy assumption day"

v. Dobrushevo

Rebuilt in 1924.


 

"Holy assumption day"

v.Dedebalci

Built in 1903.


 

"St. Petka"

v.Trap

Built in 1830.


 

"The birth of Holy mother of God"

v.Crnichani

Built in 18.


 

"St. Dimitrij"

v.Puturus

Built in 1880.


 

"The birth of the Holy mother of God"

v.Musinci

The construction started in 1992.


 

"St. Atanasie"

v.Mojno

Built in 1871.


 

"St. Dimitri the Martyr"

v.Dolna Carlija

Built in 1877.


 

"St. Paul and Peter"

v.Radobor

Built in 1891.


 

"St. Atanasie"

v.Beranci

Built in 1878.


 

"St. Theodor Tiron"

v.Dolno Srpci

Built in 1970.


 

"St. Nikola"

v.Noshpal

Built in 1865.


 

"St. George the Martyr"

v.Vasharejca

Built in 1863.


 

 


Social Networks

This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The content of this publication are the sole responsibility of Pelagonija Regional Development Agency-PREDA, and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of EU.
Македонски (Macedonian)French (Fr)English (United Kingdom)

How to get here

additional information

Designed by VIRTUS studio Prilep